View Single Post
Old 09.04.2021, 11:35
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 3,248 Times in 904 Posts
HIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Freshly terminated

Quote:
View Post
Who cares whether it is 'altruistic' or not, the end result is the same; you get paid for doing nothing.
Putting someone on garden leave can be quite a shabby way to treat them, even more so if their income is based on bonus or commission for what they deliver.

In my view, garden leave punishes loyal service by making someone feel like they've become an overnight threat to their colleagues and employer - because they are moving on.

Although they are remunerated during garden leave, they are usually not free to start a new employment, or their own business.

It's anecdotal, I agree - long periods of garden leave can be problematic in some industries, where being kept out of the marketplace, even for a few months can result in losing connections and industry knowledge.

Garden leave can deny a highly qualified individual the right to maintain expertise, which is damaging even it's for a few months (example, pilot or surgeon).

I do agree that many people will see garden leave as a long, paid holiday, while others will see it as detrimental to moving on with their life and career.
The following 3 users would like to thank HIAO for this useful post: