View Single Post
Old 09.04.2021, 11:58
Forum Legend

Groaned at 58 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 4,086 Times in 1,864 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Freshly terminated

Quote:
View Post
Putting someone on garden leave can be quite a shabby way to treat them, even more so if their income is based on bonus or commission for what they deliver.

In my view, garden leave punishes loyal service by making someone feel like they've become an overnight threat to their colleagues and employer - because they are moving on.

Although they are remunerated during garden leave, they are usually not free to start a new employment, or their own business.

It's anecdotal, I agree - long periods of garden leave can be problematic in some industries, where being kept out of the marketplace, even for a few months can result in losing connections and industry knowledge.

Garden leave can deny a highly qualified individual the right to maintain expertise, which is damaging even it's for a few months (example, pilot or surgeon).

I do agree that many people will see garden leave as a long, paid holiday, while others will see it as detrimental to moving on with their life and career.
I've only had garden leave once and I have to say being paid for three months off was excellent.

In that case it was clear that I was free to start a new job if I found one.

Similarly I've always had this agreement with people I've put on garden leave - if they find a job they are free to bring forward their end date.