View Single Post
Old 16.04.2021, 13:53
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 1,143 Times in 504 Posts
Mica has a reputation beyond reputeMica has a reputation beyond reputeMica has a reputation beyond reputeMica has a reputation beyond reputeMica has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Health insurance for a newborn?!?

Your baby will be covered by basic insurance anyway, so you are only looking at additional insurance.

1. Already insure your baby with additional insurance prior to it being born. While your baby will not get the benefit of a "private" room should it ever need to go to hospital (childrens wards generally do not have it), should there be any issues at birth you will be covered for other treatments, etc, etc. You in any event only start paying once the baby is borne.

2. Whether you want to continue the additional insurance is a matter of finances and risk appetite. Basic insurance will get you quite far in Switzerland but there are always add-ons. I at least get some of the premiums back, e.g. by having the swimming courses reimbursed.

3. Dental insurance: Some insurers let you insure your child up to three years after birth without requiring an examination. So less urgency there. Considering that there is a high chance that a child will get braces... (i.e. believe around 50% in Switzerland) it is essentially flipping the coin.