View Single Post
Old 16.04.2021, 14:59
Forum Legend

Groaned at 75 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 4,309 Times in 1,977 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Impact of not declaring property value abroad on tax and how to correct it?

[QUOTE=Landers;3296979]
Quote:
View Post
Are you a UK tax payer declaring the rental income in the UK? You should be to use your UK tax free allowance.

I don't understand what relevance declaring UK rental income in the UK makes. You seem to be claiming that it means you don't have to declare the rental income in Switzerland. Maybe that's a peculiarity in your canton but my understanding that all worldwide income including rental income even if it comes under direct taxation elsewhere needs to be declared. The amount of UK rental income adds to Swiss income to establish the tax rate but only the Swiss income is taxed at this rate. Uk rental income will *always* come under UK taxation and is *never* directly taxed in Switzerland, according to my understanding which I'm happy for someone to correct.

So to my understanding the OP would need to also declare the UK rental income and possibly repay back taxes.
However, if I were not required to make a Swiss tax declaration I (personally) would continue to overlook the UK situation.
This is correct, at least for SG.

Remember it's net income - you also subtracts the costs etc, which similarly don't count for actual taxation only setting the rate.