View Single Post
Old 20.04.2021, 12:13
Forum Legend

Groaned at 165 Times in 104 Posts
Thanked 7,981 Times in 2,706 Posts
Kittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond reputeKittster has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car Parking Fine_Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Hello All,

Before I mention my experience, i want to be honest in saying. It was totally my mistake.

So I was visiting a friend and I parked in someone else's personal parking spot. I must have parked for an hour. There was an emergency with my friend and I had to go and see to him. I could neither find a parking spot (blue zone) nor besucher. I parked in 1 of the 4 free but private parking spot.

I came back after an hour or so and found a orange slip. This was made by the guy who owns the spot and asked me to pay 40 CHF to his personal bank account. He also mentions if not paid, he will inform authorities, i assume this is betreibungsamt.

Now once again, I was totally wrong in doing so. It is none of his concern to adjust to my emergency, neither does he know me nor does he know there was an emergency and even if he knew it is not his concern, totally get that.

however, is this normal procedure to decide on what the fine is by an individual and ask me to pay him in his personal bank account rather than report to authorities (whoever that is i.e. police) ?
TLDR: Just pay the fine (which is not a fine, but a "charge for inconvience caused") and move on with your life. Respect other people's property.

There is sufficient case law to support the owner of a parking spot charging you "Umtriebskosten" of CHF 40 for using their spot without their consent. If there was an official sign that prohibits parking in those spots, the owner could also take the route of making a formal complaint with the police. The fine is then usually around 150 to 200 but the owner doesn't get any of that. By taking the approach of the "inconvenience charge", the owner of the piece of property that you chose to use is letting you off lightly.
The following 2 users would like to thank Kittster for this useful post: