View Single Post
Old 30.04.2021, 12:59
Forum Legend

Groaned at 404 Times in 313 Posts
Thanked 17,000 Times in 9,573 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Family reunion Father - Non EU B permit

It's very difficult to do this. One of the conditions is that your parent has been financially dependent on you already. Also this from meloncollie on her research into this topic.

Quote:
View Post
With Brexit looming, and all the consequences for UK citizens who suddenly will become non-EU...

If we assume non-EU status for everyone, your situation might be similar to mine when we looked into this a few years ago. We are non-EU with C permits, ILs also non-EU.

What I learned was that there is no right to bring a parent here, but under some circumstances there might be individual discretion, and in discussions with acquaintances in similar family circumstances there seemed to be varying attitudes from officialdom towards the request.

So, start with an informal chat with the Powers That Be at your Gemeinde, try to suss out what the prevailing attitudes might be.

My take-away from our discussions was that ensuring that there would be not be negative financial consequence to taxpayers seemed to be a primary concern. Towards that end emphasis seemed to be on our finances, both in how we would be able to meet our ILs expected needs, as well whether we were 'net contributors' generally. The question that always seemed to lurk in the background of discussions was 'You should go back to your home country to care for your parents - so why is it in Switzerland's interest for you to stay and bring them here?'

That said, I have met other non-EU folks who were able to bring non-EU parents here with more weight to compassionate grounds. From my limited experiences and wholly anectodotal discussions, there seems to be some YMMV. These cases were some years ago, before the general crack-down on non-EU immigration, however.

In the end MIL became too ill to travel so we dropped the idea, and then later after her death when we revisited it, FIL died unexpectedly before a resolution. So we don't know what the outcome might have been.

Do you have a partner here, and if so what is your partner's citizenship? And the children's citizenship? If Swiss you are likely in a far better position.

But do start with that informal chat with the folks at the Gemeinde - perhaps better to treat it as an information gathering session for a theoretical possibility, not as a prelude to an application. And then formulate your strategy from there.

I hope a good solution is found, and I wish you and your family all the best.
https://www.englishforum.ch/newreply...eply&p=3047580

Also this

https://www.ch.ch/en/family-reunification

Another thing to consider is whether it's in his best interest to uproot him from all he's known all his life and plunk him down in a foreign country where he doesn't speak the language, doesn't know anyone but you, has no friends, etc, etc.

It's a difficult situation all round; best thing is to discuss it with him and your cantonal migration office to see whether it's what he would want and whether it's going to be possible if he does.
The following 4 users would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post: