View Single Post
Old 09.05.2021, 14:46
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 1,167 Times in 517 Posts
Mica has a reputation beyond reputeMica has a reputation beyond reputeMica has a reputation beyond reputeMica has a reputation beyond reputeMica has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ticks in Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Its not something most Swiss even think about - my dogs had far greater problems in the UK than here! None of my Swiss friends (Im Swiss) get jabs - but they are easily available if you want it or are at an exposed level of risk.

You can, if you want to be super cautious about it, get jabs in many Apotheken, or at your doctors. I dont, even though Im in the forest almost daily. I also dont take precautions, but do realise that it might be a good precaution. I think about it every year and dont do it, well maybe this year has opened my eyes a bit to the value of vaccinations - just in case.
"Most Swiss [don't] even think about it" because they are vaccinated. It is not a matter of being "super cautious". It just makes sense to get the vaccination, since FSME is not curable (you can only treat the symptons):

"In 5 to 15% of patients, the central nervous system is affected after a symptom-free period, with symptoms such as headaches, photophobia, dizziness, and impaired concentration and walking. These can last for weeks to months. In some patients, paralysis of the arms, legs or facial nerves may occur and lead to permanent disability. In approximately 1% of cases with neurological symptoms, the disease leads to death."
https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/de/home...lick/fsme.html