View Single Post
Old 21.05.2021, 09:43
Forum Legend

Groaned at 58 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 7,547 Times in 3,386 Posts
Sean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Foreign Children in Swiss Public Schools

The school system here is good if you get on the right track - but has drawbacks due to differences per Kanton and of course getting on the track that the parent wants or believes the child can achieve.

I have a child who had the support of an excellent primary school teacher who had to deal with a variety of abilities - including native languages. There was at least two kids in the class getting support as they spoke little German. The Swiss system makes this work.

It helps if you can communicate with the teachers effectively. Also like most things in life, you get more traction if you're pushy but polite.

The issue I can see is certain kids arriving at a certain age and going into the system will not get the Gymi path because they need the local language to be strong. I know of a child who made Gymi two years after arriving here - so it can be done.

I have different complaints about the system, schools and teachers but that would be very specific having dealt with a headteacher due to a bogus allegation of bullying (fuelled by a mentalist mother), I can say I've never met anyone so wishywashy in my life
This user would like to thank Sean Connery for this useful post: