View Single Post
Old 27.05.2021, 09:49
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
kngavl has a reputation beyond reputekngavl has a reputation beyond reputekngavl has a reputation beyond reputekngavl has a reputation beyond repute
Academic 10 Years C Permit

I'm Non-EU (Canadian), I've been in Switzerland for just short of 10 years and I've stayed in academia (I'm a researcher). VINTA doesn't apply for me and my years don't appear to count. I still have a few years on my contract and I just realized that at 10 years a foreigner I may actually be able to apply for a C permit according to the FNIA Article 34:

https://www.fedlex.admin.ch/eli/cc/2007/758/en

I speak and write German and will test out for C1 later this year but I know that on the early permit there is a clause that prevents the years as a student (and also as a postdoc) from counting unless the individual becomes employed in a non-academic setting for 2 years.

The question is, does that clause apply for the 10 year C permit application?

Article 34.2.a: Foreign nationals may be granted a permanent residence permit if they have resided in Switzerland for a minimum of ten years in total on the basis with a short stay or residence permit and have held a residence permit without interruption for the last five years.

But...

Article 34.5: Temporary periods of stay, in particular for education or training (Art. 27), do not count towards the uninterrupted period of stay in the last five years in accordance with paragraphs 2 letter a and 4. Periods of stay for education or training (Art. 27) are included if the person concerned, after their completion, held a permanent residence permit for an uninterrupted period of two years.

That text kind of implies that I will never be eligible for a C-permit, no?