View Single Post
Old 27.05.2021, 16:38
Newbie 1st class

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
randomgeek has no particular reputation at present
Re: Comparing locations - Oberglatt and Dietikon

If I had the money, I'd have preferred to buy an apartment in ZH city. But anything that we like in the city costs more than 1.5 million, and that's really not affordable for us right now.

It might become affordable five years down the line, but I am not sure the increase in our salary and savings over the next five years will keep pace with the increase in real estate prices.

The options that we have in our price range right now, are outside the ZH city. We are only looking at options that have a connection to ZH HB at least every 15 minutes. We have found options in the following areas - Opfikon, Dietikon and Oberglatt.

None of these would be ideal for us, work wise. For me, the daily commute would be between 1-1.25 hours (one way), and for the wife 40-50 minutes. However, given that I can work at least 2 days a week from home, we think it would be doable.

If we want locations that are equidistant from our work locations, and also accessible from HB, we are looking at places like Thalwil, Kilchberg, Horgen - and there's no way we can afford a house there with our budget.

So what now? If we want to buy a house, it seems to me that we will have to choose from the not so desirable locations. The other option is to keep renting, but that is a bummer because we thought we could afford a decent house in ZH.