View Single Post
Old 27.05.2021, 21:11
Forum Legend

Groaned at 91 Times in 72 Posts
Thanked 11,948 Times in 4,853 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Comparing locations - Oberglatt and Dietikon

Quote:
View Post
I
The options that we have in our price range right now, are outside the ZH city. We are only looking at options that have a connection to ZH HB at least every 15 minutes. We have found options in the following areas - Opfikon, Dietikon and Oberglatt.

None of these would be ideal for us, work wise. For me, the daily commute would be between 1-1.25 hours (one way), and for the wife 40-50 minutes. However, given that I can work at least 2 days a week from home, we think it would be doable.

So what now? If we want to buy a house, it seems to me that we will have to choose from the not so desirable locations. The other option is to keep renting, but that is a bummer because we thought we could afford a decent house in ZH.
For a while, such a commute can be okay. I would not choose a permanent home that involved that much commuting except, perhaps, if you are both also studying something or are avid readers, or frequent social media, or do subtle isometric exercises or meditate, really anything that means you know how to use your time well, when in the train or waiting on the platform. With such skills, you can utilise those many hours; without them, over time the commute becomes a drain on one's energy and mood.
This user would like to thank doropfiz for this useful post: