View Single Post
Old 31.05.2021, 20:52
The Marmite Moderator

Groaned at 450 Times in 344 Posts
Thanked 22,331 Times in 11,553 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Washing machine installation

Quote:
View Post
I guess that the idea - historically - might have been that if one had one's own washing-machine, which was (and in many building still is) unusual, one might be tempted to wash much more, perhaps not only for one's own family. We have an ancient notice hanging up in the laundry which prohibits the tenants from taking in laundry from anyone else, to wash. This was, I am told, in case a washerwoman set up a business using the water for which all the tenants would be paying.

Even in this thread, we have Blacky who does 10 loads, while others do just 2 or 3. Perhaps that is to do with the size of the machines. But perhaps having to plan one's laundry times actually does cause one to want to wash less... I don't know about the psychology of it.
Even when I was single, I would run the washing machine most days, 10 loads a week as a couple or a family is nothing. I always thought Switzerland was one of the richest countries in the world, not a thirdworld backwater.
The following 2 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post: