View Single Post
Old 05.06.2021, 19:53
Forum Legend

Groaned at 95 Times in 76 Posts
Thanked 12,338 Times in 5,003 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Renovations requested by landlord

The way you describe it sounds rather like the standard way these things are done: first the left-hand side of the building, then the middle, then the right-hand side. That sounds normal. Also, since they've already done the left and the middle, it is almost guaranteed that they already have the proper building permission.

I can't comment technically about the asbestos, except to say that I surmised that this, too, ought to have been in the owner's application and approval for building. You could simply ask them about that. There are special laws about dealing with asbestos.

I don't think it is usual for a landlord to provide alternative accommodation, nor storage space for furniture, during renovations. However, a rented premises must be in a condition that is "fit for use". During renovations, the flat may still be partly usable, in that - depending upon what they builders have to do - one could still sleep in the flat at night, or could still shower even if not able to cook. The hotplate is considered a fair gesture to enable the tenants to cook, as would be, for example, temporary chemical toilets were the bathroom being renovated.

To the extent that the flat cannot be used for its purpose, the tenants are entitled to a rental reduction. Some landlords and tenants negotiate the percentage of un-fit-ness; some landlords just release the tenant from the rental for those weeks, although still requiring the tenant to pay the extra costs for heating (in German "Nebenkosten") during that time.

Since you are in contact with your neighbours, ask them what the landlord offered them, in terms of rent reduction, and whether they've already been to the Mieterverband (tenants' association) and what came of it. Also, enquire of them whether their rent was increased after the renovations. This will help you decide whether or not you want to stay in that flat, and weather the storm, or would prefer to move out.

Careful tenants cover their furniture with blankets and plastic sheeting, to protect it, or move precious items out to a neighbour's (those on the other side of the building) or friend's home, for those weeks. I once babysat someone's treasured table for a month or so.

Some tenants prefer to sleep at home despite the dust (although that's a bit scarier if you have reason to believe that it will be asbestos dust) while others move to a friend's place for that time, or pay for a hotel. The latter leaves the tenant somewhat out of pocket, since a hotel can hardly be had for the same price at the rent they're now "saving" through a reduction.
The following 3 users would like to thank doropfiz for this useful post: