View Single Post
Old 08.06.2021, 17:29
Forum Legend

Groaned at 58 Times in 50 Posts
Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,888 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 3a pillar vs personal investing

Quote:
View Post
You can't do stockpicking in 3a

small > mid > big cap performance over the long term
As for the MSCI World, I see no use in replicating an index that "invests" 2/3 in any single country, the US in this case. Even more so when you get far from stellar returns, like the 5-6% in CHF that seem likely for MSCI World. Given the massive outperformance by the US, that means that the non-US portion is massively underperforming. Just like a good company doesn't necessarily make a good investement, an economically strong country doesn't necessarily make a good investment either (talking about the non-US part).

The reason for your coming here should in itself be a strong reason to take a closer look. Blindly ignoring the country, as if it was a reflex, may well hurt your 3a performance in the years to come.
Case in point the SPI Extra (SPIX, introduced in jan 1996), it delivered 10.4% over the 25 full years thru december 2020. You'll be hard pressed to find an index, let alone one that's available for 3a, that clearly beats this. Just for comparison, the SMI(TR) delivered 7.3% over the same 25 years, vs ~8.2% by the SP500TR in CHF.

(The SPI is basically "CH all stocks", with SPI = SMI + SPIX. However, the SPI family are performance indexes, i.e. they include dividends, whereas the SMI (the 20 biggest big-cap companies that meet the selection criteria) is a price index and doesn't consider divis. My calculations above are all inclusive dividends)
In my VIAC I've got

35% SPI extra
35% NASDAQ
30% US (all share I think) pension fund
2% SMI

You've given me some encouragement the heavy SPI extra portion won't be too much of a drag.