View Single Post
Old 10.06.2021, 08:14

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
jjake has no particular reputation at present
Re: New employer wants me to start before end of current contract

Quote:
View Post
Nonsense. Your current company is not looking out for your best interest.

Give notice to your company and let your shares vest.

Start with your new company during your vacation (and wait with updating linkedin until AFTER you have ended your employment with your current company).

That way you will get everything you have earned.

Keep in mind, companies also hire new people and then get rid of an incumbent by sending him/her on garden leave. Treat them the same way.
As you are already in your notice period, you can potentially get away with starting with the new company during your 'vacation'.
BUT: From contract perspective, however, you may be violating contracts of both companies, if the contracts require that you do not work for another employer without their agreement.
This should not be a problem with the new employer but I would still ask them to acknowledge it in writing, otherwise you could be in breach of the new contract.
Additional complexity happens in case your old and new employers are competitors. In such case, it is for sure a legal issue.
Finally, regarding the shares, it depends on the plan rules. Many companies have a rule that states that if you start working for a competitor (which would usually be listed in the plan rules or so), you immediately forfeit any unvested shares. Plan rules also usually do not allow for an earlier vesting unless there is a special reason (i.e., retirement, disability or death).
I would doubt your current employer would override that as this would be precedent setting (unless they already had precedents )

If you want to do it correctly, you'd need (written) agreement from both employers. From the first one to start working for the new company during your notice period/vacation. From the new one acknowledging that you are still employed with the old company until the end of August. Not sure both would agree
This user would like to thank jjake for this useful post: