Thread: Euro 2020
View Single Post
Old 16.06.2021, 09:21
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 74 Times in 53 Posts
Thanked 3,314 Times in 1,131 Posts
Pachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond reputePachyderm has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Euro 2020

Quote:
View Post
Is there no thread on this? Cannot believe there is no interest.

Holland look refreshing today, a bit chaotic maybe. England were pretty disappointing. Switzerland as well. Belgium solid against a really bad Russian team.

Your highlight so far?
Most impressive team?

(And no, please no Danish hero stories)
Chaotic is right for Holland. Entertaining enough, yes, but chaotic -- largely because of De Boer who seems clueless as a tactician. As indeed am I, but then I'm not a pro coach. I think they'll unravel pretty quickly once they get out of the group (which they seem likely to do, given the others there). I'd be much more charitable towards England, notorious for starting slowly in tournaments. They had a patchy preparation for this game as all their best players played in the CL final, and were not available for the two friendlies England played. The performance was pretty workmanlike which is Southgate's stated aim. He's more interested in results than flair, and left out the most creative players in the squad - Grealish and Sancho, among others. It's not so easy on the eye but more likely to get the job done.

Quote:
View Post
I wish the Germans had as much confidence in Germany as the British always have
It's not so much confidence as bitter memories. The Germans have not been great since the brilliant 2014 team IMO. Many excellent players but I couldn't really see what the team as a whole were trying to do in the game against France. I think Loew ran out of ideas some time ago -- but they'll still be tough to beat given the quality of most of the individuals. That said, the France game could easily have been drawn. But France looked fantastic -- easily the best team in the competition.