Thread: Swiss coins
View Single Post
Old 20.05.2006, 12:24
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 18 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 3,190 Times in 989 Posts
litespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond reputelitespeed has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss coins

Quote:
Interesting. I must say that I find Swiss coins are quite logically ordered with respect to size denominating value. The only thing that drives me nuts is 1/2 franc coin - why does it have to be so small and almost the same size as the 10 and 20? And they should drop the 5 from circulation as well - it's totally useless. Adding some graphical designs to the Swiss coins might have also made them a little more exciting..

They kind of went the opposite way with the 20 and the 50 as the Aussies did - I always found the Australian 20 and 50 cent coins ridiculously large!
I would say the 0.50chf was made so small to avoid the metal value (Ag)being more than the face value!

I was saving 0.05chf coins for the Complaints section. But now you mention it you are right. Completely useless. They are not accepted by vending machines (except Stamp machines???) , put two together and they breed like rabbits, they end up everywhere except that you never seem to be able to find one when you really need one.

As for australian coins, yeah, they are ridiculously big. But I remember as a kid at school, a 20c piece would get you a can of coke.