View Single Post
Old 21.06.2021, 09:11

Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Caryl has a reputation beyond reputeCaryl has a reputation beyond reputeCaryl has a reputation beyond reputeCaryl has a reputation beyond repute
Adoption of grandchild

I am in the process of drafting a new Will for my daughter, who is 50 yo, single and has a child conceived by IVF. (Yes I know, illegal in Switzerland but very common here in UK, and he has UK & Swiss passports, no problem).

Because I am entitled not just to a U.S. government retiree pension, but my spouse (now deceased) and any minor children of. mine get health insurance and financial support through university, if my daughter were want me to not just to have guardianship but parental status through adoption if she does not survive and I do.

The question: (I am a retired NY lawyer, among other things) I plan to include a clause on adoption and mention all three jurisdictions; England, Switzerland and USA. But in actuality a US adoption would not be a good idea: it would automatically naturalise him and make him and his trust fund (he is autistic and has an English VPT) subject to FATCA and PFIC and worse.

Can anyone compare Swiss and English adoption practice involving grandparents where no father exists (not dead, legally nonexistant)?
The following 2 users would like to thank Caryl for this useful post: