View Single Post
Old 05.07.2021, 11:36
Caryl Caryl is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Port-Valais (was SFO)
Posts: 446
Groaned at 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 326 Times in 181 Posts
Caryl has a reputation beyond reputeCaryl has a reputation beyond reputeCaryl has a reputation beyond reputeCaryl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dealing with the UK Home Office - whinging.

View Post
Some years ago registered with HMRC online system but now I cannot log in as they use an online credit agency to check your UK address which, of course, I do not have.
Now from time to time they inform me there is news for me in their online system which I cannot access so I have to write and ask for a letter.
I have had no trouble filing UK tax returns from my Swiss domicile (registered there as a Swiss citizen, but stuck in the UK with family because of COVID-19 for two years), taxable by reason of days spent in the UK but not on my foreign government service pension (tax treaty exclusion). (I am not British and was eligible for "settlement" using my Swiss address.) At the moment there is double tax on my various state pensions from different countries (including UK and Switzerland) but the tax hasn't been significant enough to appeal. That may change: DWP recently discovered I was eligible for bereavement pension based on my late (British) wife's record and sent many thousands of pounds to my bank account, followed by a letter to my Swiss address. All unsolicited. And now my UK State Pension has tripled.

However, my daughter has left the UK for the USA and though she is a British citizen she can't file online because she needs to file SA109 which has to be filed on paper. Her only UK income this year will be her share of rent on a flat. As she is British she ought to get the 12,570 personal allowance and so a total refund of withheld tax on the rent. Which the IRS will then proceed to take away. Swiss citizens only get the personal allowance if they live in the UK or Switzerland.)

The Government Gateway is buggy. You may have to re-register and get sent a new access code in the post.

Or you might use commercial software which gets around HMRC online restrictions according to this comment:
Reply With Quote