View Single Post
Old 11.07.2021, 15:25

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
ITContractor has no particular reputation at present
contractor on RAV, searching job in 80% workload, insurance limit,taking permie?

I had previously relatively high salary (but average contracting) job: 157k gross for working in 90%. My contract was officially about 100% workload, but I was working only in 90% - the client was fine with that.

Question 1: When registering at RAV, they will ask in what workload% do I look for job. How ALK will calculate my salary if I honestly say what I wish: 80%?

A) ALK takes my current salary (157k) and limits at 148.2k. Because I search in 80%, they take 80% of that (and 70/80% of that will be payed out as monthly brutto...), ie. 94.8k

B) ALK will take what I previously had earned in 80% (this is 140k) and applies no limit, ie. 112k

The A) is 17.2k less than B) per year.

I am afraid of they will go for A), therefore I am hesitating to be honest with my 80% job search intention, especially because sooner or later I will end up in a 100% contract again (unless a dream permanent job, see below). The problem with that, if RAV forces me to take a lower paying permanent job in 100%, I would like to take it only in max 80% (or even lower) workload. But as I am officially searching in 100% I can't say during the interview that for low salary I would like to work only max 80% (or less). Of course I am hoping that a contract would pop up soon again and then I could leave the "forced" low paying permanent job immediately.

Question 2:
I would be really happy to give up contracting for a permanent position for 138k on 80% (or even less workload ie. 173k on 100%), but unfortunately that is not realistic or not easy. A ca. 130k in 100% ceiling was one of the reasons why I started contracting many years ago and that ceiling has not changed since then. With 20+ years more experience in the field I am looking for career advance and motivation and the best how the employer can express its appreciation is the money (sorry). However between projects I usually land at RAV and I would like avoid or shorten those times (or somehow take it more relaxed, without feeling guilty that I do not take any sort of "zumutbar" permanent job, independently of the offered salary).

When I am applying for permanent positions, am I allowed to say from RAV perspective that I would be happy to give up my 170-210k contracting story for a 170k permanent job (ie. 138k in 80%)? Or I am not allowed to say such because 170k is not "orts- und branchenüblicher" salary per RAV and I should be happy with the ceiling 130k? (But for an architect position I think it is possible).

Contractor fellows, what would you advise? What's your strategy to avoid being forced to take up low paying permanent jobs in 100% when you are on RAV, but being as much honest as much possible?