View Single Post
Old 13.07.2021, 17:23
Forum Legend

Groaned at 346 Times in 282 Posts
Thanked 15,696 Times in 8,040 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 20 Things I've Learned (Or Had Confirmed) About Humanity During The 'Pandemic'

Quote:
View Post
Well, objective truth is objective truth, regardless of human perception. It's when human perception comes in that things can get fuzzy. And I think a big part of the problem is that a lot of people are unwilling to admit if they're wrong.

Years ago, when I was on Facebook, there was someone in my friend's list who would constantly message me and try to convince me that the earth is flat. For a while, I attempted to engage in rational debate with him (to what extent that was possible). Eventually, he became so persistent in constantly trying to prove to me that the earth is flat -- all while completely ignoring any evidence I presented to him that proves otherwise -- that I finally unfriended and blocked him. (This was someone I didn't know in person).

So when it comes to debates, sometimes the debate just simply isn't worth the time and energy -- particularly when you're dealing with someone who chooses to ignore any evidence that disproves their theory or contradicts it. It came to a point where I realized it was irrational of me to expect to have a rational conversation with that guy. So it's not always simply a matter of not wanting to change your opinion or hear the other guy out. Sometimes it's just a matter of not wanting to waste any more time attempting to have a rational debate with someone who isn't rational.
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." Been there, done that.
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post: