View Single Post
Old 18.07.2021, 14:35
Forum Legend

Groaned at 34 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 26,115 Times in 8,069 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New law coming our way

Quote:
View Post
So we are going back to what it was previously then got changed?
The new regs will be for canton ZH only.

The biggest change that we know of so far is that all dogs will be required to take a practical course, regardless of size. Under current ZH dog law only breeds/mixes larger than 15kg or 45 cm are required to do the series of age-specific cantonal courses.

I'm so pleased that the Powers That Be have recognized that all dogs need training, regardless of size. And more importantly, all dog owners do as well.

As CherryTree points out, we won't know the details until Sept.

My 2P - My wish would be a requirement for Welpen as well as adult classes for all, similar to the stage of courses the current law lays out for large dogs. Early development is so very important - and proper early socialization can head off a host of the kinds of problems that tend to blow up into larger issues later. I doubt the regs will go that far, though... But these are the kinds of details we will learn of as the new regs are rolled out.

---

The now-abolished SKN was federal law, which was applicable to all cantons, was a sort of minimum requirement. Each canton was - and still is - able to set it's own dog law as well. Some like ZG require nothing at all of dog owners, some require more in-depth training well beyond the scope of the old SKN, such as the current ZH large dog regs.

As with so much in CH, one has to look at how federal, cantonal, and local laws intersect.
The following 3 users would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post: