View Single Post
Old 25.07.2021, 18:50
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 19 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 1,628 Times in 837 Posts
kri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gym Cancellation Problems

Quote:
View Post
My son has exactly the same problem. He gave his gym card in when lock down lifted and notified the woman on the desk that he was leaving for Australia for study.

Now he has left, a bill has arrived. The owner is adamant that he pays even though he is overseas now, and even though he handed his card in.

The owner referred to the gym terms and conditions which explicitly states that they don't accept registered letters for cancellation, or in person cancellation, nor notices to the email on the bill (to which I had written). Instead, there is one dedicated email for cancellations mentioned in the small print, and if you don't use that, they continue to invoice you forever.

Lessons are:

1. Always read the T&Cs
2. Always get a piece of paper confirming the cancellation if you cancel in person
3. The Old School Gym in Baar is inflexible, expensive, and customer unfriendly. I would avoid in future.
4. Always read the T&Cs
If he has confirmed taking the card in, I would use your legal.insurance to challenge him as it would also be up to them to refuse it. My limited legal knowledge would say that by physically taking the card it's a tacit acceptance of deviation from the T&C - versus saying "we cannot accept this, you need to write to blah@blah.com". Try challenge and see what happens if he has admitted taking card in.
The following 2 users would like to thank kri for this useful post: