View Single Post
Old 26.07.2021, 14:41
Forum Legend

Groaned at 275 Times in 195 Posts
Thanked 10,083 Times in 3,807 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Importing items I already own from another country?

When I was moving here from the US in 2009, I shipped many boxes to myself (including a lot of clothes) and was told that as long as I kept the value of the items in each box under 100 CHF (or maybe it was 100 USD -- I can't remember), marked the box as a "gift" on the form AND wrote "used -- personal belongings" on the form, then I wouldn't have to pay anything in customs or VAT. So that's exactly what I ended up doing, sending everything via the US post office, as that was the cheapest shipping method, and I didn't end up having to pay anything in terms of customs or VAT when it arrived here.

I don't think you even need to specify that it's a wedding dress on the customs form(s). You could just simply write "dress" -- and again, be sure to keep the value of it under a certain amount, on the form. I think it the max value was 100 CHF or USD back then, but it may have changed since then.