View Single Post
Old 26.07.2021, 14:44
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 1,372 Times in 600 Posts
Spinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Importing items I already own from another country?

Quote:
View Post
When I was moving here from the US in 2009, I shipped many boxes to myself (including a lot of clothes) and was told that as long as I kept the value of the items in each box under 100 CHF (or maybe it was 100 USD -- I can't remember), marked the box as a "gift" on the form AND wrote "used -- personal belongings" on the form, then I wouldn't have to pay anything in customs or VAT. So that's exactly what I ended up doing, sending everything via the US post office, as that was the cheapest shipping method, and I didn't end up having to pay anything in terms of customs or VAT when it arrived here.

I don't think you even need to specify that it's a wedding dress on the customs form(s). You could just simply write "dress" -- and again, be sure to keep the value of it under a certain amount, on the form. I think it the max value was 100 CHF or USD back then, but it may have changed since then.
The limit now is 65CHF.

One issue is that if the courier loses your parcel, they will only refund the declared value I believe...
This user would like to thank Spinal for this useful post: