View Single Post
Old 06.08.2021, 13:32
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 1,029 Times in 467 Posts
venetian has a reputation beyond reputevenetian has a reputation beyond reputevenetian has a reputation beyond reputevenetian has a reputation beyond reputevenetian has a reputation beyond repute
Re: First steps for moving to Switzerland

Hi!

Quote:
View Post
1. I've updated my CV to be as clear and concise as possible. Hopefully made it suitable for Switzerland.
Make it clear that you are an EU citizen. In the top write a big and short summary like "Senior SW Engineer - EU citizen, eligible for B permit". If someone does a quick trimming and only sees "Canada" you'll have lower priority.

Quote:
2. Gather a list of all recruiters. I see many on this forum. I'll send my CV to them and get feedback.
I got a bit skeptical of recruiters. They work to match one of their jobs with one of their applicants and get the commission; each of them has a fraction of the available jobs and won't send you for a job if they already have another person for it, even if that would be the best match for you.

Quote:
3. Find a list of companies that work in English (not sure from where) and send them my CV directly.
If they need a Senior SW engineer, usually they speak English and likely the job ads will be in English as well.

Quote:
- Obviously there will be openings in tech companies, but is there much software work in other areas (like pharma or banking or others)?
Sure. Real Estate, insurances, food industry. Anybody with a website or some internal service. Research.

Quote:
- If I start the search now and interviews go well, in your opinion could I be in Switzerland before Christmas?
Not impossible. In 2019 I started sending CVs in August, first interviews came in September and began working Dec 2nd. Could be faster, could be slower; big and/or industrial companies seem to have longer processes.

Hope to welcome you in Zurich soon