View Single Post
Old 17.08.2021, 23:42
Forum Legend

Groaned at 39 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 6,370 Times in 2,929 Posts
swisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Taxation in shared custody - Canton VAUD

I'm not sure if this helps but two separated people being taxed at 1: each will make the income lower - you typically would pay less tax than if you were married... because the tax system is 'tiered' - when not paying 'household' tax you both get taxed at a lower rate.

So yes, it's certainly worth looking at carefully, but ultimately I am not sure that you will pay 'more' tax...

I am not sure if the alimony is taxed on your side or hers - it may be simply that the alimony is taxed on your side, but not on her side... I am sure it won't be taxed twice.... eg. money paid from one spouse to the other for the maintenance of children is not counted as 'income' for tax purposes, is it ?

I'm also not sure what 'deductions' you can claim for kids - I'm curious -

It's not clear, however, if you are paying any alimony - unless your wife earns more than you, you probably should be - even in a 50/50 arrangement, the spousal maintenance payment is separate to the one you pay for your kids....

Also, who is getting the 'kinderzulagen' - child benefit ? This is usually only paid once to one parent, typically the father as he is normally earning more.... that's given to you pre-tax by your employer but is a benefit that counts as well...
This user would like to thank swisspea for this useful post: