View Single Post
Old 19.08.2021, 09:41
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 1,158 Times in 357 Posts
Klostersgirl has a reputation beyond reputeKlostersgirl has a reputation beyond reputeKlostersgirl has a reputation beyond reputeKlostersgirl has a reputation beyond reputeKlostersgirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Refused semi-private health insurance

My husband and I have private insurance which we took out in our early thirties when we first moved to CH. We had no benefit from it until a few years ago when my husband had kidney cancer. The tumour was spotted during a CT scan for an infection. At first he was told he would lose the kidney and it would be removed by surgical excision from the back with a wait of a few weeks and a significant recovery time. I then mentioned that he was privately insured and that we wanted it done more quickly and would seek a second opinion. In that moment everything changed. The Urologist went off and looked again at his schedule. He then said he would use a Da Vinci machine and only take the tumour with no surgical cut at all. He was a very straight guy and he commented that every Doctor would want my husband referred to him as they can charge more.

I am now awaiting the results of a biopsy for melanoma. In my case I will be referred to University Hospital. I don't anticipate that I will get any better care than anyone else, although I could request the most senior Doctor/Professor.
The following 3 users would like to thank Klostersgirl for this useful post: