View Single Post
Old 21.08.2021, 16:57
Newbie 1st class

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
rememberthename has no particular reputation at present
Special Case - Master Student with part time work

Hello together,

I will be starting my masters degree in CH and also will work part time at a Zurich bank on an "on call" basis probably 1-2 days / week.

I guess that if I would stay <15h/week (which I am eligible to work with my student permit) I would fall under the radar for the mandatory health insurance and could insure myself with a cheap insurer such as swisscare?

However, my contract is on call base and my employee wants me to have the permit that I could also work more per hours in order to guarantee a higher level of flexibility.

Now the problem is that I don't know how long the employment will be since it is project based. I hope I can stay there till the end of my time in Switzerland but who really knows.

This presents me with following issues:

1) if I know settle with one of the more expensive "normal" insurances, will I be able to easy switch to a cheaper plan if I don't have a side job anymore?

2) paying >2 grand in insurance per year given the amount of healthcare I actually receive is pretty nuts for having a part time job that demands 1-2 working days per week. I literally pay the same amount for the insurance than someone earning for instance uhm ... 200 grand +? Coming from an EU state where insurance is payed by the employer/employee based on income this pretty much bugs me up.

How would you rate the chance of receiving a prämienverbilligung? And how complicated is this process? I read countless of things online. One post in this forum many years ago mentioned that someone got their residency status permitted because applying for the Verbilligung? I recall that I had to sign somewhere that I receive more $$$ than a sozialhilfeempfänger in Switzerland. What if I now go for the prämienverbilligung and say that I only make around 1500 chf per month?

Anyway I would be happy for any inputs!

Cheers