View Single Post
Old 03.10.2021, 11:04
Newbie 1st class

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
cgking123 has earned some respectcgking123 has earned some respect
moving from Basel to Lausanne - part of family staying behind?

We currently live in Basel and I'm taking a job at Uni Lausanne starting October 2022. My husband will also work there.

We are a family of 6, kids ages 16, 16, 13, 9 (plus two cats and a dog &#128522

The tentative plan is to commute for one year and then move to Lausanne with our younger daughter and son who will be entering the last year of secondary school, and 5th primary, respectively. The older kids understandably want to finish their Gymnasium in Basel (will have two years left). All are in public Swiss school).

We have many things to sort out:
*has anyone moved their kids from Basel to Lausanne at these ages? How did it go with switch from German to French? Did integration classes hold them back for a year?

*we have a mortgage in Basel (small apartment) and plan to rent in Lausanne; not sure how easy/sustainable it will be to maintain two residences in two cantons (academic salaries); but from a legal perspective, at what age are older kids allowed to live alone? Would my husband and I need to maintain separate residences on paper?). Has anyone moved and left half the family in another canton (heartbreaking). Is this even "allowed"? They will be ~18 when we move. Any advice?

*Our younger daughter plays for U15 FC Basel; any idea what competitive girls teams are possible in Vaud?

Thanks for any advice!
This user would like to thank cgking123 for this useful post: