View Single Post
Old 13.10.2021, 01:11

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
tongc has no particular reputation at present
Re: international or local school

Thanks NotAllThere. I wish I could shake off the a-level obsession
interesting that 2/3 of your kids actually enjoyed the apprenticeship track. kind of make sense i guess as people in the UK also do gap years.
"Their degrees cost about 800 francs per semester." this makes me a bit sad as the universities in England are now far from being free, although its a lot worse in the state.

Quote:
View Post
Age 4 and 6 - local school. Save your money. Plans change. You may stay 2 years and then go, you've lost nothing. If you find you want to stay longer you may regret putting them in international school.

If you decide to return to the UK for GCSE, then your older child may need to repeat a year, but will have gained from 5 years experience in an completely different environment from the UK.

At that age, you've also got the option of keeping them in the Swiss system. If you can lose the obsession that most British people have (I know we did) for our kids to go from school to university, then there are many advantages to Swiss schooling, apprenticeships not being the least of it. It's very flexible, although this is not always appreciated. It has its issues, but what system doesn't?

My kids came over age 4,6 and 10. They all went through the Swiss system. The oldest went to gymnasium, then university and is now settled with a Swiss wife and two kids. The middle one dropped out of high school, worked a year, then got an OU degree, and is now in her final year of an education degree, training to be a teacher. The youngest got to gym, dropped out to do an apprenticeship, and is now in her final year doing a degree in pharmaceutical engineering.

Their degrees cost about 800 francs per semester.

If you're concerned about their progress in any subject, it's cheaper to hire a tutor than send them to an international school. I'm not against such schools, I know kids who've been through them, and turned out fine.