View Single Post
Old 14.10.2021, 13:23
Forum Legend

Groaned at 409 Times in 273 Posts
Thanked 17,735 Times in 5,474 Posts
olygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond reputeolygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bikes and trains with limited bicycle spaces

Took my bike to Lugano the other day on a train that required reservations for bikes.

Bike pass: SFr. 14
Bike space reservation: SFr. 2 for each way. You'll see your designated carriage and number on your ticket.

All booked on my SBB app but beware you'll have a separate ticket for each booking.

In Goldau, I asked a young man to help me lift my bike into the designated carriage. We got it in but realized there were only four spaces and all taken. The conductor arrived and asked what the problem was. It turned out the poor guy who had helped me had used one of the hooks for his own bike without reserving. He was kicked off the train and told to take the regional one, which takes an hour longer but does not require reservations.

If the young man hadn't been there, I would not have been able to take the train due to lack of space. There were eight allotments between two carriages and they were full.

Moral of the story: if it says reservations required, then reserve!

PS: On the way back, two stowaways hid in the bike compartment. It seems to be the place to be if you don't have a ticket.

Last edited by olygirl; 14.10.2021 at 13:40. Reason: clarity
This user would like to thank olygirl for this useful post: