View Single Post
Old 27.10.2008, 18:23
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 24 Times in 21 Posts
Louis Wu has a reputation beyond reputeLouis Wu has a reputation beyond reputeLouis Wu has a reputation beyond reputeLouis Wu has a reputation beyond reputeLouis Wu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How does the title of a thread affect the tone of your reply to a thread?

Quote:
View Post
I was thinking about this awhile ago and thought I'd get some other EF member's opinion on the matter. How much does a title of a thread affect your mindset about the thread and how you respond?

I've found that the title and how it makes me feel kinda effects the tone of my reply.

Now this is just a recent example and I'm not trying to give the poster a hard time but this is the most recent example I can think of:

Bus drivers can be so much dumb!

Title of Thread: Bus Drivers can be so Dumb!

And then I go in and read the thread and it's not that bus driver's are dumb it's that they have certain legal liabilities.

My response probably would have been completely different if said title of thread was:

What are the legal liabilities of bus drivers?

Am I the only one this happens to or am I just crazy?

A good question, I think that it's perfectly possible to be influenced by the title, especially so if it's a controversial one or one which implies a yes I agree or No that's worng style answer. With the bus driver thread you read the title and expect to see a rant about bus drivers and to see whether you want to write I agree or disagree