View Single Post
Old 27.10.2008, 22:35
Forum Legend

Groaned at 16 Times in 15 Posts
Thanked 5,236 Times in 2,551 Posts
Deep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond reputeDeep Purple has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How does the title of a thread affect the tone of your reply to a thread?

Another thread with an ambiguous title is this one:
How it all started

Some people may have ignored the thread as there is no mention of the subject matter: How all WHAT started?

For others, there could be the inquisitive looks of "What's this all about?"

It is down to the poster to decide how they consider they will get the appropriate response.

Obviously, if English isn't your first language it is going to be more difficult to get it right every time. Don't be put off by this, virtually all of us get titles wrong from time to time.

Another point is when the thread has a specific geographic reference, e.g. Sales or Wanted, it is usually best to ensure this is included in the title. Mods have been helpful on occasions to add this, but don't rely on it.