View Single Post
Old 28.10.2008, 09:13
Forum Legend

Groaned at 15 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 2,564 Times in 1,242 Posts
argus has a reputation beyond reputeargus has a reputation beyond reputeargus has a reputation beyond reputeargus has a reputation beyond reputeargus has a reputation beyond reputeargus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How does the title of a thread affect the tone of your reply to a thread?

I agree to a certain extent. When I saw that one ("Bus drivers can be so dumb"), it looked like overreaction and expected a rant. I read it to see if it was justified. The OP had his/her point but the bus driver had his responsibilities and duties.

Thread titles can look more interesting with a bit of colour or personality but too much emotion might skew it. In any case, I always appreciate more info in the title.

Quote:
View Post
I was thinking about this awhile ago and thought I'd get some other EF member's opinion on the matter. How much does a title of a thread affect your mindset about the thread and how you respond?

I've found that the title and how it makes me feel kinda effects the tone of my reply.

Now this is just a recent example and I'm not trying to give the poster a hard time but this is the most recent example I can think of:

Bus drivers can be so much dumb!

Title of Thread: Bus Drivers can be so Dumb!

And then I go in and read the thread and it's not that bus driver's are dumb it's that they have certain legal liabilities.

My response probably would have been completely different if said title of thread was:

What are the legal liabilities of bus drivers?

Am I the only one this happens to or am I just crazy?