View Single Post
Old 31.10.2008, 16:29
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 193 Times in 88 Posts
Thanked 2,896 Times in 937 Posts
Karl has a reputation beyond reputeKarl has a reputation beyond reputeKarl has a reputation beyond reputeKarl has a reputation beyond reputeKarl has a reputation beyond reputeKarl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: English Muffins?

Quote:
View Post
Anybody know where I can find English Muffins?
I tried Jemoli, Globus, and Coop. I thought I saw them somewhere along time ago but I'm coming up with nothing now...

Thanks!
JBean
Funny you should ask that question. After living here for over 20 years, my list of "things I have to buy in the US and bring back to Switzerland" has slowly dwindled as they one by one started becoming available in Switzerland (examples: cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, Tortilla chips...).

The last item that stubbornly refuses to appear here is English Muffins (I heard that this is an American invention, and that if you ask for English Muffins in England they won't know what you are talking about, or maybe they just call them "Muffins"?).

Anyway, no, I haven`t found them in Switzerland yet, but I stumbled upon them for the first time last week while shopping in Aldi, Germany, just over the border from Schaffhausen: they are called "Toastbrötchen", by "Mühlen Gold", and 2 English muffins, pre-sliced, come in individually wrapped plastic. Price: 0.59 Euro for 2 muffins (about .90 CHF). I bought 8 packs. I tried them out, pretty good, look and taste like English muffins, nice and crispy when toasted.