View Single Post
Old 22.06.2022, 13:05
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 21 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 1,567 Times in 718 Posts
LuganoPirate has a reputation beyond reputeLuganoPirate has a reputation beyond reputeLuganoPirate has a reputation beyond reputeLuganoPirate has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tenant rights - rent increase

Sorry I'm a bit late with this, but I've been traveling.
You signed a contract and the owner gave you a letter agreeing to a reduction in the rent.

This forms an amendment to the original contract and you should only pay the new rent not the old one. In cases where we raise or lower a rent, or add an extra parking place, it is done by exchange of letters signed by both parties and the new agreement is then in force.

You have nothing to worry about here and clearly the old owner was a bit of fly by night. First cutting out the agent who found him the tenant, then by not declaring the new agreement - probably in order to achieve a higher selling price. If anything, the new buyer could have a case against the seller, but if it's not significant I doubt they will bother.

The only caveat, is the new owner may give you notice according to your contract, in order to let the place at a higher rent. Be forewarned!!