Thread: Watch Valuation
View Single Post
Old 24.06.2022, 13:48
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 26 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 3,323 Times in 1,412 Posts
eyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Watch Valuation

Quote:
View Post
In this thread: lots of people who do not understand how insurance valuations work. The OP doesn't want to know how much the watch is worth on the open market - head to any of the big watch sites and you can find that out in a matter of minutes.

Neither does he want a letter from Rolex stating the current list price. He has a receipt for that.

What he is looking for is an official valuation that will be recognized by his insurance company in the event of a loss.

I suspect that the OP has an in-demand watch like a Rolex Pepsi. List price is CHF9'500, but the current open-market price is closer to CHF22'000. So if he experiences a loss and wants to replace it without going on a years-long waiting list, it needs to be insured at a higher value.

To the OP, I would turn this question on its head. I would go back to your insurer and ask if they could recommend a jeweler or expert who could provide an appraisal -- at least that way, you know that they'll honor the appraisal value as they made the recommendation. You could start somewhere like Chrono24 but I doubt that insurance would accept this as an official valuation.
All of this!

The insurer won't help though. I tried that. They also won't accept Chrono24 screenshots. Bucherer would only give the retail valuation. The bouncer for want of a better word suggested trying an auction house.

This thread has reminded me that I need to chase the insurer again, as they were trying to find a solution with their underwriting department.