View Single Post
Old 29.08.2022, 13:56

Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
new to swiss has no particular reputation at present
Re: Buying a car from Germany or France

Hello

I'm moving to Zurich in Jan-Feb 2023 and I'm considering swtiching cars but not sure what is most viable option operationally. I'm based in Poland and usually bought cars from authorized dealers in Germany (1-2 years old), who I assume sell the cars with refundable tax (it wasn't in my interest previously since VAT in Poland is 23% and in Germany 19%).
Given the previous posts here, it seems like the most viable option would be to wait until I'm registered in Switzerland by my employer and then drive to Germany to buy a car (another 1-2 years from authorized dealer).
Understand I will have to pay the gross price (with VAT) and pay additional 11.4% (Swiss customs and taxes) upon crossing the border. Also, the refund of the German VAT is something I can claim later, correct?

Now, are there any other significant taxes / payments I would have to incur in order to register the car in Switzerland? Someone mentioned CO2 tax ( im looking for 2.0 diesel engine, production from 2020-21)?

On the other hand, I can buy a car now in Poland (from the dealer) but understand that since I will be arriving in January and 6 months have not passed yet, I will have to pay additional tax and customs min. 11.7% and may not be able to get the VAT refund from Poland ?

Appreciate any views / opinion on this.