View Single Post
Old 29.08.2022, 14:44
Forum Legend

Groaned at 106 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 20,546 Times in 9,089 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Buying a car from Germany or France

I think you got this pretty correct. For a car which has been registered at least 6 months before the import the CO2 tax is 0. You have to ask the dealer if they will reimburse VAT. It is up to them and voluntarily. If they sell the car in commission from a private seller there might be no VAT to be reimbursed. See if the car has "MWSt ausgewiesen".

Quote:
View Post
On the other hand, I can buy a car now in Poland (from the dealer) but understand that since I will be arriving in January and 6 months have not passed yet, I will have to pay additional tax and customs min. 11.7% and may not be able to get the VAT refund from Poland ?
You would have to pay Swiss VAT (7.7%) and car import tax (4%) on the cars value 2 year after the import.

Quote:
If the requirements listed in form 18.44 for assessment as household effects are not met, you can apply for a customs permit form 15.30 under certain conditions. With this, you may continue to use the vehicle duty unpaid for a maximum of two years after your relocation. You must apply for Swiss number plates at the cantonal vehicle licensing office after one year at the latest.
https://www.bazg.admin.ch/bazg/en/ho...ts--etc--.html

I do not know how customs calculates depreciation, but for regular tax it is 40% every year, which would mean the car has a taxable value of 36% of its value at import time.