View Single Post
Old 06.11.2008, 12:47
Forum Legend

Groaned at 356 Times in 244 Posts
Thanked 12,366 Times in 4,228 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Chimney Sweep...

I refused to have the 1 metre long flue of my gas central heating boiler swept by our local sweep.

They announced they were coming by post card and arrived as they had promised with dirty faces top hats and coils of chimney clean things. I asked how much it would cost. They replied that it was the accounts department that sent out bills and they didn't know.

I also asked them if could tell me how much soot is produced by a gas heating boiler. They had no idea, so I enlightened them: none.

They threatened to inform the fire police. Who indeed phoned the next day to explain that it was a Cantonal law (ZH) that all heating chimney should be swept every 2 years. I asked why we had not seen a chimney sweep for the 5 previous years - no answer.

I asked the soot question. He at least knew that only CO2 and water are produced. I informed him that there are approximately 15 million gas boilers in the UK and wondered if he could tell me how many were swept. The answer is none.

In the end the Fire guy agreed that it was stupid and that like typewriter repair men, our local chimney sweeps should seek new employment and that if I took full responsibility for the chimney I could be exempt.

I should add that we paid over CHF400 for a service/maintenance contract and even paid the Fire Police CHF35 to inspect the system when commissioned.

So tell them to clear off. If you don't let them in the the door they can do nothing...

Fed up of smoking? 10 tips to quit in 10 days

Last edited by AbFab; 05.10.2010 at 13:12.