View Single Post
Old 04.01.2023, 15:47
Forum Legend

Groaned at 38 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 29,394 Times in 8,966 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: BPPV (Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo) any tips?

I've had BPPV several times, so I empathize - the feeling is horrid.

Did your doctor give you something against the nausea?

IIRC there are several meds that can help with the nausea, speak to your doctor about which one might be appropriate for you. Stopping the vomiting is key for me. I've also been given an anti-motion sickness drug, something similar to Dramamine, which helped stop the room from spinning.

While the room is spinning, I find that lying on my side with a cold compress helps. No medical reason why it should, just an anecdote.

Doing the Epley manoever, or whatever exercises your doctor recommends, is helpful. With BPPV moving those crystals is key to stopping the attack, and apparently the exercises are the best way to do so. I found it helpful to do the manoever at least once at the Praxis so that the doctor can tell if I am doing it correctly or not.

If the vomiting is continuous, as other posters mention be careful of dehydration. During bad attacks where the vomiting is constant, I've had to go in for an infusion due to dehydration. If you think you are at that point, do the 'tenting' skin test, then speak to your doctor if you are showig dehydration and unable to drink or keep water down for a prolonged time.

---

An amusing-in-hindsight BPPV note:

During an attack I needed the anti nausea meds so called the GP. Mine was not available so I saw a doctor I had never met before. This doctor, not knowing me, my history, or my imperfect German, decided that it was a stroke. He frogmarched me to the hospital, where apparently once the 'S' word is uttered you have to stay and go through the whole stroke protocol, several days.

Turns out, it was my German that prompted his diagnosis. My German gets worse under stress, and during our discussion I made the typical English speaker mistake of incorrect word order several times. The doctor didn't realize I was not a mother tongue German speaker, so took my mistakes as Aphasia.

Oh well, it was a nice quiet 'vacation' in the hospital. At least I got the 'good stuff' against nausea and the BPPV attack passed far more quickly than usual.

---

BPPV sucks, I hope you attacks pass quickly. But do make sure you are getting appropriate nausea and/or motion sickness meds. If you get BPPV attacks frequently ask your doctor if it is OK to keep meds on hand so you don't have to venture out while dizzy/ vomiting in order to get them.
The following 2 users would like to thank meloncollie for this useful post: