View Single Post
Old 04.01.2009, 17:17
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 37 Times in 26 Posts
ticino has earned some respectticino has earned some respect
Re: Lausanne: Is there a decent butcher in town?

Quote:
View Post
Hi,

I'd like to ask you where do you buy your meat? Where in Lausanne (or Vaud) can you get some good quality meat at reasonable prices? From what I've seen there are basically 3 options:

Coop - not so good meat and quite expensive
Migros - even worst meat and quite expensive
Manor/Globus - not bad meat but even more expensive

Please don't tell me France. I've been travelling around Switzerland and if there is something you see is cows grazing on green pastures. Dairy products are great so the question is: where does the meat go once the cows are slaughtered???

I've been trying to find a butcher in Lausanne but have been unsuccessful. I was told there was a good butcher down by Flon but was unable to locate it.

Does anybody know a good butcher (where perhaps one can even order special cuts of meat)?

Am I asking for too much to find a butcher that has a chart like the one I have attached where I can ask for a specific cut of meat?
The meat variety in CH is generally smaller than in other countries in my experience. In the supermarkets you will find only meat that's nice to look at and doesn't look like a piece of a dead animal . (e.g., you typically don't see entire chickens, pig feet or heads, tongues, livers, brain, and stuff like that). Don't know Lausanne, but around Zurich you could go directly to a farmer and buy your meat there. They have everything, but might require you to buy larger quantities (ok if you've got a big freezer).