Thread: Rentals
View Single Post
Old 07.01.2009, 12:02
Forum Legend

Groaned at 125 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 7,626 Times in 3,570 Posts
Mrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rentals

Quote:
View Post
Hello!
My husband and I and our 4 children are moving to Zurich in April. We are very excited about it! We have found a house that we like the look of but the company that are relocating us say that they don't work with the rental agency involved because the agency requires a months rent commision from us and they don't work with these type of rental agencies.
Anyone have any experience/advice? We love the house but don't know if it's worth the risk if the agency is "dodgy."

Thanks in advance for any help
Obviously the relocation company did not find you the house in question but that doesn't mean they can't help you as you are paying them fees, corrrect?

There are companies that charge the tenant a fee but I generally don't work with these companies. The properties I show my clients are, for the most part, offered for rent by a private individual or a real estate firm on behalf of an owner. In both cases, the tenant is not paying a fee. This is charged to the owner. It can be the equivalent of one month's rent, or a fixed fee plus the advertising costs, etc. If the property is managed by a real estate firm, there are monthly fees which the owner also pays.
While there are some relocation firms who do receive commission from renting a property, I do not. My services are paid by the client (or their employer) which means I work for the person who is relocating and will be paying the rent. I can be completely objective as I do not work for the property owner or receive any fees from them.

The agencies that charge the tenant a fee are not necessarily "dodgy", they just do things differently. I recommend that you go back to the relocation agency, who are supposed to be working for you, and if you are prepared to pay the rental fee, they should be prepared to work with you as you are paying them (or your employer is).