View Single Post
Old 07.01.2009, 14:08
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Dodger has an excellent reputationDodger has an excellent reputationDodger has an excellent reputationDodger has an excellent reputation
Re: Buying a house in Germany and working in Basel what's the catch?

I don't know anything about buying a place to live in Germany (we rent), but I can answer some questions:

Tax - Working in Basel and living in Germany what will I pay (roughly more less or the same)?

The end effect is that you will pay tax as if you work in Germany, which is more than in Switzerland.

Can I continue to pay my Swiss taxes (1,2,3 pillars) + insurance and use the system i.e. hospitals etc but live in DE?

Yes and no. You will 5% Quellensteuer plus social security payments (AHV, etc). You can continue to have Swiss health insurance but then you will have to pay the highest premiums (lowest franchise) available. In the end, it would make sense to get German health insurance. If your salary is high enough, I would strongly recommend private cover. With German health insurance you can use Swiss hospitals, but only in an emergency. For simple visits to the GP you would have to do it in Germany

Can I use some of my pension to pay the deposit?
Can I take the mortgage out with a Swiss bank?

Can't help you with these two. Sorry.

Forgot to mention my wife and daughter have Swiss citizenship and I Have a C permit.

If you move across the border, you will probably then get a G (Grenzgänger: border commuter) permit.