View Single Post
Old 13.01.2009, 21:34
Forum Legend

Groaned at 130 Times in 113 Posts
Thanked 5,663 Times in 2,659 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: transfer money to CH when moving in

Quote:
View Post
Actually I don't see any problems in the USA - I bought 2 businesses in Europe and transferred more than 20 times in the last 3 years.
With my current bank it is also free!
It is the receiving part that usually creates the problems - taxes, proof of origin of the money etc.
I think it depends an lot on who you bank with in the USA. If you deal with a small bank or one who has little or not international business you may find that they use a representative bank to do the transaction on their behalf, so three parties become involved. Now this was a common practice many years ago in Europe too, but no longer. So when this strange transaction hits your Swiss bank the automanted systems have no idea what to do but stick it in a suspense account until it is processed manually!

This happened me about two years ago when a client I had in "Small Town, USA" used his local bank to send me a payment. When it arrived in my Swiss bank they seemed to have no idea how to handle it and it spend about a week doing the rounds internally before it got sorted. In a way it was funny because they were able to tell me they could see it in the system, but could not figure out how to get it moving so that it would hit my account.

Since you have already found a route that works well I'd stick to it if I was you.

Good luck,

Jim.