View Single Post
Old 23.01.2009, 12:02
Stauff's Avatar
Stauff Stauff is offline
Newbie 1st class
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Tuvalu
Posts: 26
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Stauff has become a little unpopular
Re: Maintaining Canadian residential ties

I also forgot to mention, that when you "pay" taxes in Canada as a student studying elsewhere, if there is a tax treaty (and perhaps even if there isn't) you should be able to claim the foreign tax credit. This means that whatever your Canadian tax bill is, it is decreased by the amount of taxes you have already been required to pay in the country you are currently in, and you only pay the difference. For most graduate students, since the vast majority of the stipend should be non-taxable fellowship, even if you did owe some tax, you are very unlikely to owe amounts that would exceed even the modest amount of tax you pay here in Switzerland.

Please note, since you will be paying withholding tax, if you make a claim for refund of your portion of church tax, or for any interest paid over the year, and receive it, then if you claimed your entire withholding tax on your Canadian taxes you would be committing a fraud. It would be valid I think to claim the entire amount prior to receiving any Swiss refund, however once you did, you would have to amend the amount of foreign tax credit claimed on your Canadian taxes.
Reply With Quote