View Single Post
Old 23.01.2009, 22:32
WhiteSkiFreak WhiteSkiFreak is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 66
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
WhiteSkiFreak has no particular reputation at present
Re: Car insurance for a UK car, not intending to import

View Post
I had a car here on UK plates for 18 months - insured with permanent greencard through the AA.
Hi everyone,
I am moving to Suisse in August and I intend to bring my little car for up to 12 months max. AA advised that they could provide a 12 month extended insurance policy (agrees with the above info), which I am going to take and then - if I stay longer - I will take the car back to the UK and buy something locally. I have owed the car for about 4 years. I think this is still cheaper that buy even an used one in Suisse. PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG!
Maybe it is really not worth it - my beloved car is 7 years old.
Can anyone advise, please, what sort of charges I have to pay in the circumstances? Do I have to pay an import tax, if I intend to keep it only for 12 month max?
Another question: I have over 9 years no claim period - would any Swiss insurance company recognise that? I will have a B permit.
I will be grateful for any advise and other tips!

THANK YOU! Looking forward to hearing from you - experienced folks!

Reply With Quote