View Single Post
Old 23.01.2009, 22:36
Forum Legend

Groaned at 55 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 2,371 Times in 1,202 Posts
Eire has a reputation beyond reputeEire has a reputation beyond reputeEire has a reputation beyond reputeEire has a reputation beyond reputeEire has a reputation beyond reputeEire has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car insurance for a UK car, not intending to import

Quote:
View Post

Hi everyone,
I am moving to Suisse in August and I intend to bring my little car for up to 12 months max. AA advised that they could provide a 12 month extended insurance policy (agrees with the above info), which I am going to take and then - if I stay longer - I will take the car back to the UK and buy something locally. I have owed the car for about 4 years. I think this is still cheaper that buy even an used one in Suisse. PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG!
Maybe it is really not worth it - my beloved car is 7 years old.
Can anyone advise, please, what sort of charges I have to pay in the circumstances? Do I have to pay an import tax, if I intend to keep it only for 12 month max?
Another question: I have over 9 years no claim period - would any Swiss insurance company recognise that? I will have a B permit.
I will be grateful for any advise and other tips!

THANK YOU! Looking forward to hearing from you - experienced folks!

If you have insurance and the car is legal to drive in your home country then you will be ok for a year here in Switzerland. Even if you import it since you have it over 6 months you won't need to pay import tax anyway. You will however have to jump through hoops to pass the safety tests here.

I heard yesterday that some Swiss insurance companies will accept your no claims bonus, you will need a letter confirming the amount of no claims benefit from your insurance company. When you get over you can shop around to see which company will give you the best deal.

Interested in skiing, Snowboarding or Mountain Biking in Switzerland? Information in English available
here.