View Single Post
Old 03.02.2009, 22:28
Forum Veteran

Groaned at 26 Times in 19 Posts
dannyt986 has a reputation beyond reputedannyt986 has a reputation beyond reputedannyt986 has a reputation beyond reputedannyt986 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: DIY Home Video Surveillance

Thanks for all the input.

Ive been trialling an IR capable Vivotek dome camera and have been pretty impressed. The depth of field can a bit low, but that is the converse of having low light capability before the IR switches in. The camera itself has a pretty decent integrated server including the motion detection and event management (ie emailing, saving stills and video etc).

Hopefully tomorrow I'll receive a second external IP66 weatherproof IR camera and a QNAP 109 home NAS (which includes 2 camera recorder software). I will then be able to test the whole thing. Maybe the NAS server is superfluous, in which case I'll us it for, well, a home NAS.

Ive got it all running over an UPS, cameras powered via a Power over Ethernet enabled switch which should make wiring easy and eliminate short term mains dependence. It all talks to the internet access point via a wireless bridge. Once Ive got it all set up I'll see what the no mains power autonomy is.

I think I can get a decent amount of physical security by hiding it in a cluttered loft. The idea is really just to keep it running long enough that I get a warning and visual confirmation of unwanted guests before they "pull the plug" if they are that keen.

Daniel